In less than a week, I am going to be 20 years old. I am 5'6" on a good day, or at least I tell myself this. I think I'm actually 5'5", but I used to dream about growing up super model tall and super model skinny. Thank you cosmo, seventeen, and television for giving me high hopes. Thank you, God, for giving me short parents.But really, God has blessed me with my healthy figure and features. I, on the other hand, have abused those blessings and tortured myself with horrible eating and exercise habits.
I'm not overweight or anything and I carry my weight well on most days. My mom's bathroom scale tells me I am about 130 pounds. Most my weight goes to my hips and below. I'm not exactly an Apple bottom jeans type of girl though. Honestly, I wish I was born in the era of high waisted pants, skirts, and all that. Thank goodness they're coming back. They really take care of those wobbly bits.
Really this is all said for laughs and giggles. No one should feel bad about their wobbly bits, a number on the scale, or where their weight goes. Over the years I have found myself go from a crazy calorie counting, long distance running, nut-case, to a binge eating, couch slouching, homework-doing, hard-working college student. Those are two extremes. Maybe a little soul searching, and a few blogs will help me and maybe the people around me, find their healthy happy medium. Maybe this will help me face my fears and become passionate about my lost love. running.
So let's hear about my binge today. I started off watching Dr. Oz. He told me the ten commandments to losing weight. I'm not eager to loss weight though; my focus is being healthy and successful while reaching for that goal. Maybe weightloss is a part of that equation, so I listened closely to what Dr. Oz had to say. Not closely enough to recite all ten commandments, but I can share a few of his tips.
He told me to plan out meals and chew twenty times per bite. I gave it a try. I thought about what to eat for breakfast and decided on an egg sandwich. One slice of provolone, one egg, a slice of tomatoe, a little lettuce, all on toasted honey wheat bread. Perfect. A balance of protien and important nutrients. A good start right?
Chewing. Chewing. Chewing. Was that twenty? Let me tell you, thinking about this is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I have always hurried through meals, snacks, and such so I could get on with life (or to the next food I was craving). Chewing. Chewing. Chewing. I think I did pretty well this morning. I was full even before I finished my sandwich! The dogs got to enjoy a small portion of my well balanced and planned breakfast, but I really doubt they chewed it twenty times per bite.
The rest of my day didn't go quite as well. I really needed to get out of the house, but did I want to leave on an empty stomach? Time for gorditas! My amazing abuelita (grandma) is an amazing cook. She can whip up enchiladas that kill and tamales that melt in your mouth. Gorditas aren't something that you chew twenty times per bite. One bite, two bite, three bite...you're thinking about the next one just wanting to taste the delicious mexican flavor once again.
One of Dr. Oz's tips was not to eat any portion more than an inch high and fill all plates towards the center an inch away from the rim all the way around. In that case, Gorditas are blasphemy to Dr. Oz's rules. One empty plate later, I am on my way to run errands with a very full belly and satisfied wobbly bits.
After running around for a few hours, I come home with a growling stomach. I try not to graze. Another one of Dr. Oz's rules. No grazing! Did you know that grazing can accumulate into 1000 calories of food? Mmm...potatoe chips, craisons, and a cheese stick later...
That's enough! No more! The horror! Who wants to hear about the midnight session of Secret Life with a cup of hot chocolate to die for? That was only about 200 calories I am sure. Only 200 calories. That's nothing compared to the Gordita.
So a bajillion calories later and a day of very little exercise, I am here. I am here to stand up, look in the mirror, share my trials, and change! I can't say goodbye to my wobbly bits just yet, but maybe I can say goodbye to my uncontrollable eating impulses in the near future. Maybe those wobbly bits will start to fall right off. Maybe I can find stone tablets etched with Dr. Oz's ten commandments of weight loss as a constant reminder on how to ;ive a healthy lifestyle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment